Nature provides us with so many amazing sources of colour and many of our everyday household kitchen waste can be used as a natural dye. The process of extracting and using natural pigments is an art and a sustainable way to add colour to natural fibres.
This introduction to natural dye class is an introductory class that explores the art of natural dyeing. We will create natural dye baths and experiment with different colour combinations. You will learn how to select dye materials that will yield excellent colours in your dye pot. You will also learn how to successfully prepare your fibres for dying and achieve a range of colours from a dye material. This course is taught by Yvette-Michelle Cottle Darby; a fiber artist, professional instructor and the founder of Crafted Spaces.
What you can expect:
- Private in-person or live online Zoom sessions with additional video support (16 Hours)
- Selection and preparation of your dye materials.
- Learn how to scour your dyeable materials.
- Learn how to successfully mordant cellulose and protein fibres.
- Setting up your natural dye practice.
- Create and explore several dye recipes.
- Achieve vibrant, clear colours and work with modifiers.
- Dye and overdye several dyeable projects and natural fibre samples.
- Create a dye journal with swatches and samples.
- Discussion, review and Q+A.
The Natural Dye Kit is only available to enrolled students. The dye kit includes dye materials, mordant, dyeable, fibre samples (silk, cotton, linen, wool and bamboo) and other supplies. A list of additional supplies needed will be provided upon registration.
Students are also welcome to use their own dye materials and or dyeable projects (please contact us for details).
Learn everything you need to know to continue your exploration into natural dyes. . .
Store pick-up or Canada Post shipping is available for the kit and will be scheduled prior to the class. Shipping and handling are based on Canada Post rates.
*This workshop is non-refundable, please review the date and confirm that it works for your schedule. This course is intended for anyone interested in the practice of natural dying.
**This class and its content is for personal use only. No portion of this class may be recorded, shared or distributed without the written consent of Crafted Spaces. Please review our Terms and Conditions before registering.