This class is an introduction to natural dyed yarn (wool, cotton, linen, silk, and bamboo) with the use of natural dyestuff. You will learn how to select plants and other organic materials that will yield excellent vibrant colours in your dye pot. This course is taught by Yvette-Michelle Cottle Darby; a fiber artist, professional instructor and the founder of Crafted Spaces.
What you can expect:
- Private in-person or live online Zoom sessions with additional video support (6 Hours)
- Selection and preparation of your dye materials.
- Learn how to scour your dyeable materials.
- Learn how to successfully mordant cellulose and protein fibres.
- Setting up your natural dye practice.
- Explore several dye recipes.
- Achieve vibrant, clear colours and work with modifiers.
- Dye samples.
- Create a dye journal with swatches and samples.
- Discussion, review and Q+A.
We will experiment with colour combinations, mordants and a selection of plant materials.
A materials kit is included; however, additional supplies will be required. You will receive one skein of wool yarn, dye material and various yarn swatches. You will use a dye recipe and create a natural dyed yarn journal with swatches and samples.
Students will learn everything they need to know to continue their exploration into using natural dyes on yarn. This class will include how to prepare your materials, mordanting, preparing a dye bath and dyeing.
Studio pick-up or Canada Post shipping is available for the kit and will be scheduled prior to the class. Please note that shipping and handling costs are billed separately, based on Canada Post rates.
*This class is non-refundable, please review the date and confirm that it works for your schedule.
*This class and its content is for personal use only. No portion of our lectures or tutorials may be recorded, shared or distributed without the written consent of Crafted Spaces. Please review our Terms and Conditions before registering.